Recipe by Chocolatl
From Dom DeLuise. This can be actually be served without pasta. Some recommended pastas are ziti, rigatoni, ravioli, and angel hair. Use hot or sweet sausages, or a combination, your choice. Add a couple more mushrooms if you like them.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cansready-cut peeled tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sausage in a skillet. Add hot water, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove sausages and separate links if necessary. Discard drippings.
- In a large Dutch Oven, saute mushrooms, carrot and onion just until al dente.
- Add sausages.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 1 hour, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta, or by itself with hot crusty bread.