Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Dom DeLuise. This can be actually be served without pasta. Some recommended pastas are ziti, rigatoni, ravioli, and angel hair. Use hot or sweet sausages, or a combination, your choice. Add a couple more mushrooms if you like them.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cansready-cut peeled tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place sausage in a skillet. Add hot water, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove sausages and separate links if necessary. Discard drippings.
- In a large Dutch Oven, saute mushrooms, carrot and onion just until al dente.
- Add sausages.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 1 hour, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta, or by itself with hot crusty bread.
We loved this! Nice and thick and hearty! The only thing I added was garlic.....just can't make spaghetti sauce without it. Made for Culinary Quest Summer 2014.
Made a very thick, tomato-y sauce. I might add some garlic next time. But loved using the sausage instead of ground beef. I used Sweet Italian turkey sausages.
Very nice sauce. I followed instructions as listed except for removing sausage from casings to cook. This turned out lovely, I'm so happy I tried this. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made for Kittencalskitchen Forum European Tag Game.