1 hr 10 mins
Never was I happier than when I discovered I could make a vegan version of my mom's spaghetti sauce that tasted just like hers! Make sure to include the fennel seed - it mimics the taste of sausage in the sauce. It is important to use a non-stick pot, so the veggie crumbles sear well and don't stick to the bottom.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance natural buttery spread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb veggie crumbles (Smart Ground Original)
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1In a large non-stick pot over medium heat, melt the Earth Balance and olive oil, add the onion and saute until it is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for just a minute.
- 2Continuing over medium heat, add the veggie crumbles, breaking them into very small pieces. Allow them cook, stirring only every minute or so. Doing this gives the crumbles time to brown/sear. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until well browned.
- 3Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding the bay leaves after all the other ingredients have been mixed together. Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for one hour covered with an offset lid, stirring periodically.
- 4Serve over spaghetti with a green salad and garlic bread made with olive oil.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Spaghetti Sauce - Vegan
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.4
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1493.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Earth Balance natural buttery spread