Recipe by KissKiss
Never was I happier than when I discovered I could make a vegan version of my mom's spaghetti sauce that tasted just like hers! Make sure to include the fennel seed - it mimics the taste of sausage in the sauce. It is important to use a non-stick pot, so the veggie crumbles sear well and don't stick to the bottom.
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance natural buttery spread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb veggie crumbles (Smart Ground Original)
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 -3 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick pot over medium heat, melt the Earth Balance and olive oil, add the onion and saute until it is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for just a minute.
- Continuing over medium heat, add the veggie crumbles, breaking them into very small pieces. Allow them cook, stirring only every minute or so. Doing this gives the crumbles time to brown/sear. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until well browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding the bay leaves after all the other ingredients have been mixed together. Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for one hour covered with an offset lid, stirring periodically.
- Serve over spaghetti with a green salad and garlic bread made with olive oil.