1/1 Photo of Mama's Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
1 hr 10 mins
This was something I always looked forward to during the holidays. I don't know why Mama only made it, then! I've broken that tradition by making it anytime I get hungry for it. However, when it's stuffed inside of the turkey, it's even better! I hope you enjoy! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- Mexican cornbread mix
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about half of a large onion)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 slices toast
- 1 chicken breast, baked and shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 -4 cups chicken or 3 -4 cups turkey broth
- poultry seasoning and cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1Prepare cornbread as package directs. I use a Mexican Cornbread mix. Don’t use one that contains sugar.
- 2When your cornbread has cooled, break it and the toast into a large bowl.
- 3Sauté onions, celery, and green bell pepper, optional red bell pepper, and garlic in butter until onions are transparent.
- 4Add the shredded chicken and the sautéed veggies into the cornbread mixture. Use your hands to really mix it up.
- 5Add poultry seasoning and cayenne pepper, mixing well.
- 6Add in the broth a little at a time. Add in just enough to make it thick and somewhat soupy. Mix, well.
- 7Give it a taste. It should taste exactly the way you want your dressing to taste. If it needs more spices add them here.
- 8When you are content with the taste, stir in the eggs.
- 9Pour into a buttered 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- 10Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.3
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 124.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: