This was something I always looked forward to during the holidays. I don't know why Mama only made it, then! I've broken that tradition by making it anytime I get hungry for it. However, when it's stuffed inside of the turkey, it's even better! I hope you enjoy! :)
- Mexican cornbread mix
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about half of a large onion)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 slices toast
- 1 chicken breast, baked and shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 -4 cups chicken or 3 -4 cups turkey broth
- poultry seasoning and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Prepare cornbread as package directs. I use a Mexican Cornbread mix. Don’t use one that contains sugar.
- When your cornbread has cooled, break it and the toast into a large bowl.
- Sauté onions, celery, and green bell pepper, optional red bell pepper, and garlic in butter until onions are transparent.
- Add the shredded chicken and the sautéed veggies into the cornbread mixture. Use your hands to really mix it up.
- Add poultry seasoning and cayenne pepper, mixing well.
- Add in the broth a little at a time. Add in just enough to make it thick and somewhat soupy. Mix, well.
- Give it a taste. It should taste exactly the way you want your dressing to taste. If it needs more spices add them here.
- When you are content with the taste, stir in the eggs.
- Pour into a buttered 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.