Recipe by Maya's Mama
my mother use to make this all the time when I was young. it's the best roast chicken I've ever had. I know you'll enjoy it. you can also use this recipe for chicken pieces rather than a whole chicken if you wish
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
Great! The cooking time was quicker than stated. I did put a bay leaf in the water because I wanted some broth to make a sauce. I did add water twice. This is a no fuss recipe and a recipe you could prepare the chicken ahead of time, wrap with plastic wrap and then cook the following day. The chicken was very moist. Thanks for posting. I served the broth/gravy with noodles.
- 1 roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 large onion (peeled)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Make sure the giblets and neck are removed from the chickens cavity before starting.
- On a cutting board have the chicken breast down.
- With meat cutters or a sharp knife cut the chicken length wise threw the ribcage.
- You should now be able to flatten out the whole chicken.
- In a strainer pour half the vinegar over the skin of the chicken. then pour the remainder of the vinegar over the interior of the chicken.
- Rinse the chicken in COLD water.
- Pat dry.
- Put the chicken aside.
- In a food processor. grate the onion then mix in the salt, black pepper and thyme.
- In a roasting pan place the chicken breast side down.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the onion mixture onto the under side of the chicken and spread it out evenly.
- Turn the chicken over.
- Lift the skin of the chicken and spoon in the remainder of the onion mixture. again try to even out the onion distribution as much as possible.
- Pour some water in the base of the roasting pan to prevent the chicken from drying. (you may add more later if you feel the chicken needs it).
- Place the chicken in the oven for 90 minutes or until golden brown all over and the juices run clear.
- Once the chicken is cooked all the way through allow it to rest for 15 minutes before serving.