Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mama has made this recipe for years using no units of measure. Since she is 91 I sat her down and we came up with this recipe that is very close to her no measure version. It's the best!!!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, crushed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup ditallini cooked pasta
- Cook bacon until brown and crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan.
- Saute oil, onion and garlic until browned.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- While simmering, add beans and spices.
- Simmer another 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta, cheese and bacon.
- Serve with more cheese prinkled on top.
- Wonderful served with Beer Bread#73440.
- Started both the pasta fagioli and bread at 4 o'clock and had dinner by 6.
I added chopped carrots and celery, increased to 2 cans beans and 6 cups chicken stock to get a little more out of this recipe - it was so delicious the first time that it just didn't last long enough. A friend of mine makes a similar dish but uses prosciutto instead of bacon - also very good!
This was absolutely delicious! I served with garlic herb butter cheese crostini (http://www.food.com/recipe/garlic-herb-butter-crostini-103814). What a combo!
My kids, DH and I thought this was one of the best soups we have ever had. With the cold weather here, this one will be made all winter. Along with a salad and bread sticks, this was simply fantastic!