Recipe by LitaLou
This recipe is the very definition of "meatballs" for me. My brother and I grew up with it, and then my niece and nephew did, too. Make sure the meat mixture is good and cold when you make out the balls and it will hold together much better. This is my very favorite comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes, and enjoy!
- 453.59 g ground chuck
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml uncooked rice
- 59.14 ml cracker crumb
- 6.16 ml salt
- 78.07 ml milk
- 0.59 ml pepper (or more to taste)
- 29.58 ml shortening
- 304.75 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 177.44 ml hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients. Mix well, and put in refrigerator to chill. When chilled, shape into small balls.
- Melt shortening in large heavy skillet, over medium-high heat. Brown meatballs on all sides, turning as necessary.
- Add soup and water to skillet with browned meatballs. stirring down to distribute evenly in pan.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer about 1 1/4 hours. Stir gently occasionally to keep meatballs from sticking.