1 hr 30 mins
Nat Da Brat's Note:
Chef Rocco Dispirito prepared Mama's recipe on the Tony Danza Show.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- chili flakes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree, red pack brand if possible
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, red pack brand if possible
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, red pack brand if possible
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- red pepper flakes
- 1Cook the garlic and onion in the olive oil in a sauce pot over a medium-low flame, about 10 minutes or until garlic is tender and onions translucent, not brown (this is called"sweating" because it will draw out a lot of moisture and flavor).
- 2Add the chili flakes to taste.
- 3Add all the tomato products.
- 4Pour the chicken stock into one of the 28-oz cans.
- 5Fill it the rest of the way with water and add that and the sugar to the pot.
- 6Stir and bring to a simmer.
- 7Taste and season with salt and cover.
- 8Simmer the sauce for about 1 hour (the sauce should be fairly thin, but not watery and very smooth).
- 9Uncover and simmer for 3 minutes if it is too thin for your taste; add a little water if it seems thick.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Marinara
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 436.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 6.7 g