Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Chef Rocco Dispirito prepared Mama's recipe on the Tony Danza Show.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- chili flakes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree, red pack brand if possible
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, red pack brand if possible
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, red pack brand if possible
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- red pepper flakes
- Cook the garlic and onion in the olive oil in a sauce pot over a medium-low flame, about 10 minutes or until garlic is tender and onions translucent, not brown (this is called"sweating" because it will draw out a lot of moisture and flavor).
- Add the chili flakes to taste.
- Add all the tomato products.
- Pour the chicken stock into one of the 28-oz cans.
- Fill it the rest of the way with water and add that and the sugar to the pot.
- Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Taste and season with salt and cover.
- Simmer the sauce for about 1 hour (the sauce should be fairly thin, but not watery and very smooth).
- Uncover and simmer for 3 minutes if it is too thin for your taste; add a little water if it seems thick.
This is a delicoiius marinara. I have always used my own homemade sauce but this one is a nice change. Thanks NatDaBrat!
Thanks this was a good sauce that the whole family enjoyed. if i was making it for just adults i would have spiced it up a little bit more but it is a sauce that everyone can enjoy.
I was looking for a smooth tomato sauce, since my kids do not like sauces with chunks of tomato in it. I was skeptical about how this would taste because it had no basil or Italian seasonings in it. Were my fears misplaced or what??!?!?!? This sauce was bursting with fresh flavor and was so tasty. Just wonderful! This is my marinara sauce from now on! I guess Rocco DiSpirito did not get famous on his handsome face alone! 5 stars PLUS!!!