Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Mabel King's collection, the late actress known as Mama from the 70s TV Show "What's Happening!!", which I found while surfing the internet. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds delicious.
- 2 lbs cracker barrel mild cheddar cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, boiled and drained
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut one block of cheese into small chunks.
- In a round casserole dish, mix the macaroni, eggs, butter, small chunks of cheese, and a few shakes of paprika together.
- Add the evaporated milk.
- The mixture should be thick, but not slushy.
- Cut the second block of cheese into strips, and place on top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle a little more paprika on top.
- Place some pieces of butter on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top bubbles and becomes golden brown.
- Let it cool before cutting with a spatula into wedges, like a piece of pie.
We liked this but it was a little to bland for our tastes. We tend to like a "bite" in our foods. I will add this to our main cookbook to try again with some changes. Black pepper or cayenne would have helped.