Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe is from Down Home with the Neely's. It uses no -cook lasagna noodles which cuts some of the time. A great special occasion dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra
- olive oil, for pan
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. In a large saute pan, over medium-high heat, add 1tablespoon oil and saute meat, onion, and garlic until meat is browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon. Drain pan of fat and add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse, keeping separate before layering so noodles don't stick together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, then mix in cottage cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, and seasoning salt. Lay half the noodles in the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping by 1/2-inch. Spread half the cottage cheese mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle half the mozzarella and Cheddar evenly over the cheese mixture. Pour half the meat sauce on top. Repeat layering in same order. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan on top. Bake in center of oven 30 to 35 minutes until sauce is bubbling around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.