Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a Daughter of a Southern Woman Recipe. It has come down from women who can cook for 500 people or just you and your Mama. Enjoy!
- 3 bunches collard greens
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 smoked pork hocks
- hot sauce
- Most Important: Wash the greens several times.
- Remove the veins and stems,then chop coarsely.
- Sauté onions in a little oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add greens, 1 teaspoon hot sauce and 1 1/2 quart water.
- Heat to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer till greens are tender.
- Remove the hocks, ditch the fat, shred the meat and return it to the pot.
- Keep an eye on the water level so the greens don't get dry.
- This is VERY easy and tastes great!
Simple and simply awesome. I simmered for a total of three hours.
These were excellent. I had never made greens and this was a really easy recipe to follow.