Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Fast and easy. Very unusual topping made with bread- but you can't tell! Use whatever fruit you would like. My family says this is THE best cobbler EVER! I like it bc it is made with things that I always have on hand and can be thrown together in minutes yet it looks pretty enough to serve company.
- 1 cup sugar, adjust to your taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 5 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into strips
- 3 cups fruit, approx, SEE NOTE
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom (optional)
- Mix first 4 ingredients together and set aside.
- Place drained fruit in a buttered 8x8 pan and top with bread strips.
- Pour sugar mixture over bread and fruit and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Great topped with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
- Note: I dont usually measure the fruit, I just fill the bottom of the pan. Frozen fruit that has been partially defrosted works great as does soft fresh fruit- harder fruits such as apples or pears should be precooked until softened for best results. Drained canned fruit works great for this too. One large can (29 oz) is a perfect amount.
If you are a pudding person like I am then this is to die for and so easy too !!! The fruits I chose to use were yellow peaches and strawberries and I used fruit bread as I had it on hand.I did halve the sugar as my bread was sweet. My DD has a part time job at a bakery so we always have excess bread so many many thanks for posting such a satisfying and delicious way to use it up !!
This was gone in no time! Made as directed and used canned peaches. Next time I'll try frozen berries. Easy to prepare too. Served with whipped cream, Yummy. Thanks Mama
you're right, fast and easy! We loved it! we used sliced canned pears and a few frozen blueberries. Great dessert! thanks for posting.