Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic fried chicken recipe from Curtis Aikens (Food Network). Prep time does not include 2 hours chilling time.
- 3 -4 lbs whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- self-rising flour
- vegetable oil
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in shallow dish or ziploc plastic bag; add buttermilk.
- Cover or seal, and chill at least 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk.
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches in a deep skillet or Dutch oven; heat to 360°F.
- Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; cover and cook 6 minutes.
- Uncover chicken and cook 9 minutes.
- Turn chicken; cover and cook 6 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 5 to 9 minutes, turning the chicken the last 3 minutes for even browning, if necessary.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Test chicken with meat thermometer (170°F) or by piercing thickest portion with fork.
- When juices run clear it is done.
Hello there. I made this for two servings and used chicken drumsticks. I thought the flour needed to be seasoned more, so I added salt, garlic and onion powders. I followed the directions, but the coating didn't seem to want to stick. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I think I might add a beaten egg when coating the chicken, next time. Thank you.