Recipe by linguinelisa
From the cookbook Bon Appetit, Y'all by Virginia Willis. You can find more recipes at her website www.virginiawillis.com.
Top Review by Jezski
Like an uncinnamon snickerdoodle cookie. Not perfect but pretty good. I didn't roll them into balls, just used a small cookie scoop and got 52 cookies. Nice texture, I think because of the confectioner's sugar. Flavor is good, just a little bland. You do need a little more salt in the dough. Thanks for posting - - Janet
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, preferably Crisco, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, sift together first four ingredients. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter and shortening on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add confectioners sugar and beat on low speed until smooth. add egg and vanilla extract and beat on low until well combined.
- On low speed, slowly add dry ingredients. Beat until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until very firm and cool, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Take some of the dough and shape it into 1-inch balls. (Keep remaining dough in the refrigerator, as it must be kept chilled.) Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet and press with the tines of a fork to flatten. Bake until golden, but not brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheet on a rack. then using a spatula, transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.