Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Called 'hot dish' or 'goulash' in my family this was basically a dish that we probably ate weekly when I was growing up. Most likely because it was fast, tasty, filling and well... cheap! lol Feel free to put in 'whatcha got' and leave out 'whatcha dont got'! If you like it spicy try adding some salsa with the tomatoes or add a dash or two of hot sauce on your plate. You can toss in some herbs and spices if you like or just have it as is. This is comfort food to me. Note: I like this better with the pasta cooked separately as it seems to come out more al dente. There is a lot to be said though for LESS dishes so sometimes I cook the pasta as listed below, all in the same pan! Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by KC's Mom
My husband & I loved it! We'd had a bad day, and had nothing in mind for dinner. Looked through my cookbook & found this recipe. I only had the mexican tomatoes with chilies and used those. I also seasoned it with cumin and a little chipotle Tabasco. I threw some corn in, and used whole wheat egg noodles. It turned out great! I will definitely be making this again!!!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 green pepper, chopped, again if you have it
- 2 stalks celery, chopped, you guessed it, if you've got it
- 1 lb ground beef (whatever is on sale! lol) or 1 lb ground turkey (whatever's on sale! lol)
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes or 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces kidney beans, probably because they're cheap
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, raw
- 2 cups water or 1 cup red wine mixed with 1 cup water, seems like we always had wine no matter the bank balance
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat skillet then spray well with cooking spray or add a little oil. Toss in chopped onions and let them sweat til they start to turn clear. Add garlic and cook just until it gives off some good aroma.
- Add ground beef or turkey and brown well. Drain well. (Later when health was an issue we would brown the meat first, then drain and rinse with water and leave to drain in the strainer in the sink while we cooked the onion and garlic. Then returned the meat to the pan.).
- Add everything but cheese leaving the macaroni raw when adding- it cooks in the pan. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.Top with cheese if you have it and serve!
- Note: To make this stretch even more you can make a batch of biscuits or- gulp- open a can- and put them on top. Pop into the oven and bake accordingly.