When I was a little girl and I would get sick, my Mama (Mary in LA) would always serve me Creamed Peas on Toast. It was light enough for an upset tummy but filling enough to make a sick little girl not be hungry anymore. I never could make it like Mama could until now. I finally figured out where the recipe came from! It is from a book called "The Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia of Cooking and Homemaking" which was published in 1940. I decide to post this recipe as a tribute to my Mama. Now all mommies can help their daughters sick tummies feel better just like mine did all those years ago. Thanks Mama!
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan.
- Whisk in flour and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk, whisking the whole time to prevent lumps.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add peas, stir and cook until peas are heated through about 5-7 minutes.
- Can be served alone or over toast.