Recipe by Malriah
When I was a little girl and I would get sick, my Mama (Mary in LA) would always serve me Creamed Peas on Toast. It was light enough for an upset tummy but filling enough to make a sick little girl not be hungry anymore. I never could make it like Mama could until now. I finally figured out where the recipe came from! It is from a book called "The Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedia of Cooking and Homemaking" which was published in 1940. I decide to post this recipe as a tribute to my Mama. Now all mommies can help their daughters sick tummies feel better just like mine did all those years ago. Thanks Mama!
Top Review by Laureneframe
MMMMM!! I'm pregnant (so getting wild cravings) and was dying for the same creamed peas I used to eat as a kid (when I was sick too!) These taste just like my mom's- well, with a little extra salt and lots of extra pepper- I dont think my mom could cook without pepper! and just for the record- these always made me get better when I was a kid. They never curdled my stomach and made me barf.
- 4 cups peas, fresh,frozen or canned
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan.
- Whisk in flour and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk, whisking the whole time to prevent lumps.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add peas, stir and cook until peas are heated through about 5-7 minutes.
- Can be served alone or over toast.