1/3 Photos of Mama's Couche Couche
A simple Cajun breakfast delicacy, pronounced "coosh-coosh." Warm cane syrup and café au lait would be appropriate accompaniments. This is home cooking at its best. Recipe from the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, milk or water in a bowl and mix to blend. The mixture will be like damp sand.
- 2Heat the drippings in a cast-iron (preferably) medium-size or large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn meal mixture and allow a crust to form on the bottom, much like you would do to make cornbread.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium and cook, scraping the bottom of the pot with a metal spatula to stir and fold the crust, breaking up large lumps, until the mixture is golden brown and resembles crumbled cornbread, about 15 minutes.
- 4Serve hot, with cane syrup, or honey drizzled over the top. Maple syrup if you must - LOL!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Couche Couche
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.8
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 1043.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 7.9 g