1/1 Photo of Mama's Chicken Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
This is my adaptation of a recipe for Jewish Penicillin, a.k.a. Chicken Soup. Everyone who tries it loves it - even my two year old. You can also leave out the meat and potatoes or rice and use this as a really flavorful chicken stock. I usually get around 6 quarts of soup, but it depends on how much I simmer it down.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole chickens, rinsed, giblets and excess fat discarded
- 1 -2 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 -3 stalks celery, cut into 3-4-inch lengths (including any leaves, I use the innermost stalks from a head)
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, rinsed (stems and leaves)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, peeled
- kosher salt (to taste, I use around 1-2 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- potatoes or rice or egg noodles
- 1Place chicken in an 8 quart stockpot. Add onion, celery, parsley, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- 2Fill pot with water to cover by 2-3 inches. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, skimming foam from surface.
- 3Simmer for 1 hour, checking to be sure soup is still simmering and to make sure level doesn't drop too low (if it does, add more cold water, bring back to simmer, and cook a little longer).
- 4Remove chicken from soup and let sit, covered, until cool enough to handle; continue simmering soup in the meantime.
- 5Remove meat from bones and return bones, skin, etc to soup. Refrigerate chicken meat.
- 6Continue simmering soup. Soup may be simmered for another 1/2 hour or so, or may be simmered for a few hours - the time at this point is quite flexible. Just keep checking the broth level now and then; add cold water and return to simmer if it drops too low.
- 7Taste and correct seasoning. Strain through a few layers of cheesecloth into a clean stockpot. Discard vegetables and bones. Keep broth hot while you prepare the desired starch.
- 8If using potatoes, peel and cube and simmer until tender. Place some potato chunks and chicken meat into bowls and ladle hot broth over.
- 9If using rice, cook rice according to package directions. Place some rice and chicken meat into bowls and ladle hot broth over.
- 10If using noodles, cook according to package directions and drain well. Place some noodles and chicken meat into bowls and ladle hot broth over.
- 11This soup may be defatted if you make it in advance, cool quickly in an ice bath, and chill in the refrigerator. Once chilled, the fat will solidify on the surface and may be skimmed off. At this point, the broth may be frozen for later use (with or without meat, and without potatoes or rice), or it may be heated and served.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1750 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.5
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 156.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 34.6 g