Prep 18 mins
Cook 40 mins
Pickled eggs are a great dish served at tailgate parties, family reunions, picnics, or office potluck. These make good food gifts too. The cook time is an approximate time for the canning process.
- 12 eggs
- 1 quart vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon allspice berry
- 1 -3 slice fresh gingerroot
- Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water.
- When water begins to boil, remove from heat and cover.
- Let eggs sit in hot water for 18 minutes.
- Cool in cold water and peel.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, allspice and sliced ginger.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place eggs in sterilized jars.
- Pour vinegar mixture over eggs.
- (You may strain vinegar, if desired.) Seal and place jars in preserving pan with rack.
- Water should cover jars with at least 1-inch of water above tops of jars.
- Bring water to a boil; cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool.
- Check seals.
- Store about one month before opening.
These are VERY, VERY GOOD pickled eggs. Could hardly wait for the month to pass to try them. We love pickles eggs, The recipe is a keeper. Thank you so much Miss Annie.
The store had a supper sale on eggs and bought 6 dozen to make this recipe. Opened the first jar and they are wonderful. Thank you
I have never made pickled eggs before but I was given a case of eggs last week so I printed out four easy pickled egg recipes, this being one of them. I sent all four batches to deer camp with my husband and this recipe was voted the very best. This was only four days after making them and they get better every day so I know what to do with the majority of the remaining eggs. I did strain the vinegar to remove most of the spices but left some in each quart jar. Also, I didn't have a preserving pan so I used a tall 12qt stock pot. I put a round cake cooling rack in the bottom and made sure the water covered the jars at least 1 inch. The water was at the very rim of the pot so the lid wouldn't work, instead I used another pot with the same sized rim and set it upside down on top. Some water boiled over but not a lot and it worked to seal the lids.