Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My son kept saying the potatoes at school tasted weird. My daughter informed him, "They are fake potatoes, not real, like Mama's". So here's the real thing, very much worth the effort. (Hint, if you warm the milk slightly in a separate saucepan, the potatoes will stay hot longer until serving. Grandma says if they taste bland, they need more salt!)
- 3 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 2⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Cover diced potatoes with water in large saucepan and boil until tender; drain.
- Add butter and mix with hand mixer until butter is melted.
- add sour cream and salt; mix again.
- Slowly add milk and beat until smooth.
- Serve hot.
Wonderful! This was so great... I added about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of crushed rosemary and a dash of garlic powder. Thanks so much!
I needed mashed potatoes to go with French Tart's Cheat's Cassoulet and these were the perfect texture. Thanks for posting! Roxygirl