1/3 Photos of Mama's Bean Soup
Halcyon Eve's Note:
I came up with this soup while on the South Beach diet by combining other recipes. It's a filling, low-fat, good-carb, family-favorite soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans navy beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- shredded parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- 1Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey, garlic, and Italian herbs and cook until turkey is done.
- 2Add onion and cook for 6-8 minutes or until transparent.
- 3Add broth, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne, scraping bottom and sides.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Add beans, reduce heat to a very low simmer, and cook for 4 minutes longer, uncovered.
- 6Add tomatoes and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 7Remove bay leaves and serve, passing Parmesan cheese to be sprinkled on top to taste.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.0
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 1356.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 47.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed Italian herbs