Recipe by Halcyon Eve
I came up with this soup while on the South Beach diet by combining other recipes. It's a filling, low-fat, good-carb, family-favorite soup.
Top Review by barefootmommawv
Great soup for a blustery day. I started out following the recipe and made to completion. Tasted it and it was delish. Before, we got around to having it for dinner I had tweaked it just because I was cleaning out the fridge and found stuff that could easily be added. I added, 2 cups tomato juice, a cup and a half frozen mixed vegetables, 1/4 cup peas and 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. I'm so glad I found this recipe. It's great and very versatile. Made for 123 Hits!! Thank you for a quick and yummy dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans navy beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- shredded parmesan cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey, garlic, and Italian herbs and cook until turkey is done.
- Add onion and cook for 6-8 minutes or until transparent.
- Add broth, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne, scraping bottom and sides.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, reduce heat to a very low simmer, and cook for 4 minutes longer, uncovered.
- Add tomatoes and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove bay leaves and serve, passing Parmesan cheese to be sprinkled on top to taste.