Recipe by Seasoned Cook
This was a favorite dish my mother always cooked for my family. She shared this dish at church suppers and reunions...now this generation enjoys it. A good mix of flavors!
Top Review by MeganMuffins
Omitting the salt and adding celery salt in place of the celery really gives this sauce a great flavor. We were all totally loving the sauce! This sauce is different than lots of others and has loads of flavors just waiting to experiment on your taste buds. This is a repeater!
- 1 chicken, cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken pieces slowly in salad oil and remove from skillet.
- In same skillet cook onion and celery just until tender, but not browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in baking pan and pour sauce over all pieces.
- Bake uncovered in 325 degree oven for approximately 1 hour. Baste with sauce after 30 minutes and just before serving.