Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The holidays weren't complete without Mama's Banana Bread and Date Nut Bread. I've tried to keep the tradition going...even sending the breads up North to family. Mama's Banana Bread is wonderful for breakfast (try it toasted) with sweet cream butter, midday with coffee, or a late night snack. It's so easy to make, don't wait for the holidays....have it for the family all year long!!
- 8 ounces butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 6 medium bananas)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt butter. In a large mixing bowl, with hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until well blended. Add eggs, ONE AT A TIME, mixing well after each egg. Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Fold in the flour mixture and walnuts. Blend until all the flour is moist.
- Grease two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Divide batter equally between the 2 pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until center of loaf is firm and toothpick inserted comes out clean.