Recipe by food girl II
My mom makes this great black bean casserole. I have always loved it, and now it's on my husband's top 10 list of favorite foods!
Top Review by katies_email2006
delicious and easy.. I cut down on spices for my kids and served with salsa on side for those that wanted it.. i too replaced celery with corn - great idea... will make again... no left overs!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic (or more if you like)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- 3 tortillas, cut to fit into casserole dish
- grated cheddar cheese or soy cheddar cheese, to taste
- chopped green onion (optional)
- chopped green pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- nota:diced tomatoes and chili powder can be replaced with an equivalent amount of salsa.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large fry pan, heat oil and fry the onions, garlic, and celery until tender and onions translucent.
- Add tomatoes/salsa and spices, and heat through.
- Add black beans.
- Spoon a quarter of the mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Add a tortilla.
- Spoon another quarter of the mixture over the tortilla and spread to cover.
- Add a third of the grated cheese.
- Continue in this way until all the ingredients have been used up.
- Place casserole in the oven and heat for 20 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle green onion and green pepper over the dish (if desired) and serve.