Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Moderately spicy and very flavorful. Contrast the sweetness and pop of corn kernels with the black beans, and the fragrant chill of fresh cilantro with the flowing warmth of bell and green chili peppers. Very easy and fast to make. If you want to use a crockpot, please do brown the meat (gives wonderful flavor) before putting into a crockpot on low for four hours. You can substitute chicken for the beef if you wish.
- 1 -2 lb stewing beef (or chopped or shredded chicken)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced Rotel Tomatoes (Rotel or Mexican style preferred)
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 0.333 (4 1/16 ounce) can diced green chilies (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and black pepper, ta3te
- squeeze lime juice (optional)
- crushed corn chips (optional) or taco chips (optional) or plain Doritos (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 8 ounces shredded colby-monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin (optional)
- Comine cornstarch and water in small bowl into smooth liquid paste.
- Brown stew beef quickly with diced onion. You want to just brown the surface of the beef cubes, not cook it through.
- Add all ingredients except cilantro into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce hit to a simmer, and simmer for an hour.
- Add cilantro just before serving.
- Serve over crushed corn or taco chips, or garnish with same.
- Serve with sour cream, too, if you wish.
- Goes great with a nice Mexican beer, and you can use the lime with the beer!