Mama Zuquinis Sugo Di Vitello
- Ask butcher for veal rib or thigh bone. Wash well, leave submerged under running water for 30 minutes. Be sure all blood is washed off or it will darken the sauce.
- In medium saucepan, put the well-dried bones, the garlic cloves and half the olive oil. When garlic becomes transparent, remove and discard. Add remaining oil and allow to become hot. Add ground veal. Stir and cook well.
- Add wine. Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to remove any residue; continue cooking over medium-high heat until wine has evaporated, less than 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, stir well.
- Allow sauce to boil vigorously for several minutes. Reduce heat to medium. After 1 hour, add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Remove bones and discard. If the tomatoes have any bitter taste, add some fresh basil but remove it before sauce is served. Cook 1 to 1 1/2 more hours, or until sauce reaches desired consistency, occasionally stirring gently. Serve over 1 cup cooked pasta per serving.