1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This is from a local Italian restaurant. It does not include rising times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, divided, plus more as needed for kneading
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups plum tomatoes (canned is ok)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon toasted pine nuts
- 1 small pinch red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed
- lemon juice, to taste
- 1DOUGH: In a large bowl, whisk together the water, oil, sugar and yeast. Set aside the mixture for 15 minutes to hydrate the yeast.
- 2Stir in the salt and two-thirds of the flour, 1 spoonful at a time, to achieve a very soft dough.
- 3Turn out the dough onto a well-floured board and continue kneading in additional flour until a soft, sticky dough is achieved. The dough should be very moist; the more flour added, the heavier the dough and final crust.
- 4Place the dough in a large, greased bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Set aside the dough until it doubles in volume, about 1 to 11/2 hours. (While the dough is rising, make the tomato and pesto sauces, and assemble the toppings.).
- 5When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and turn it out onto a floured board. Halve the dough and roll each half into a ball. Place the balls on the floured board and lightly flour the top of each. Loosely cover each ball with plastic wrap and set aside until almost doubled again.
- 6SAUCE: In a medium saucepan heated over medium heat, add the oil, garlic and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, careful not to burn the garlic.
- 7Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and sugar. Cover the pan and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the herbs.
- 8Pass the sauce through a food mill, or purée using a food processor or blender. This makes 1 scant cup tomato sauce. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 9PESTO:In a large mortar and pestle or using a food processor, grind together the garlic, pine nuts, chile flakes, Parmigiano and olive oil. Add the basil leaves, a few at a time, until they are incorporated and a coarse paste is formed.
- 10Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with additional Parmigiano, lemon juice, pine nuts or olive oil. Thin as desired with a little olive oil.
- 11Refrigerate the pesto in a nonreactive container with the surface covered with plastic wrap until needed; the pesto will keep for up to 1 day.
- 12ASSEMBLY: Place a pizza stone on a rack in the oven, and heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 13Roll out each dough ball to a 12- to 14-inch round and place on a floured pizza peel. Divide the sauce between the two rounds, ladling evenly over each round and leaving a 1-inch border around each.
- 14Sprinkle the mozzarella and feta evenly over the pizzas, and garnish the top of each pie with the tomatoes, olives and artichokes.
- 15Gently slide the first pizza on the stone. Bake until the crust is puffed and golden-brown, about 8 to 10 minutes (timing will vary depending on the thickness of the pie and heat of the oven).
- 16Remove the pizza and slide the second into the oven. Cool the pizzas slightly, then spoon the pesto over and slice. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama Zuquinis Mediterranean Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (1909 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1740.0
- Calories from Fat 668
- Total Fat 74.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.3 g
- Cholesterol 123.6 mg
- Sodium 1931.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 207.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.0 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 64.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili pepper flakes