Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This quick recipe is a favorite at my local Italian restaurant.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs fresh ripe plum tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped or 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (9 ounce) package linguine
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, thinly sliced
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place oil and garlic in large skillet; cook over medium-high heat for 30 seconds or until it begins to sizzle. Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to juice up. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with tomato mixture. Stir in cheese and basil; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.