Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mother took an East Indian cooking class at our local college. When I was a teen she tried out the recipes she liked on us kids. I remember this salad being a favorite of ours. How authentically East Indian it is, I don't know, but it is good and I haven't seen any just like it.
- 59.14 ml white wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml salad oil
- 29.58 ml fruit chutney
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 7.39 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml mustard powder
- 709.77 ml fresh spinach leaves
- 354.88 ml Red Delicious apples
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 118.29 ml peanuts
- 29.58 ml scallions
- Make salad dressing with first seven ingredients, blending to make the salad dressing in a food processor. Set dressing aside, cover and chill in the refrigerator for later use.
- Prepare the vegetables by tearing the fresh spinach leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Dice the apple into bite size pieces.
- Dice the green onions.
- Measure out raisins and peanuts.
- In a large salad serving bowl, place torn fresh spinach (on bottom), apple bits, raisins, peanuts and diced green onion.
- Dress the salad veggies pouring over them the desired amount of dressing you find appropriate to start with, and lightly toss to coat the salad.
- Serve immediately. Salad wilts and gets soggy if not eaten right away, when prepared.
Touche' reviews are right on this is Totally yummy! I used walnuts and added some toasted sunflower seeds as well. Next time think will add diced pears. Thank you for sharing.
AMAZING! Thanks so much Tiomarrano! I only had distilled white vinegar and I used mango chutney and this was freaking' awesome. We put it over a kale salad with cucumbers and mango~ Yippy!
DH loved the dressing on this salad. Served with Curried Chicken Chutney Salad and this was a great side salad.