Recipe by Tiomarrano
My mother took an East Indian cooking class at our local college. When I was a teen she tried out the recipes she liked on us kids. I remember this salad being a favorite of ours. How authentically East Indian it is, I don't know, but it is good and I haven't seen any just like it.
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 2 tablespoons fruit chutney
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups Red Delicious apples
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts
- 2 tablespoons scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- Make salad dressing with first seven ingredients, blending to make the salad dressing in a food processor. Set dressing aside, cover and chill in the refrigerator for later use.
- Prepare the vegetables by tearing the fresh spinach leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Dice the apple into bite size pieces.
- Dice the green onions.
- Measure out raisins and peanuts.
- In a large salad serving bowl, place torn fresh spinach (on bottom), apple bits, raisins, peanuts and diced green onion.
- Dress the salad veggies pouring over them the desired amount of dressing you find appropriate to start with, and lightly toss to coat the salad.
- Serve immediately. Salad wilts and gets soggy if not eaten right away, when prepared.