Growing up, me and my brothers loved this recipe for deviled eggs and would wipe out a whole platter of them quickly. The only hard part is balancing taste and texture so that the egg yolk does not get too soupy. Start small and add the ingredients a bit at a time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil eggs to get them ready for peeling. A good technique that makes them easier to peel is to ‘twice boil’ them.
- 2Bring eggs to boil and let boil a minute or so.
- 3Then turn off heat and cover the pan.
- 4Let eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes or so.
- 5Remove eggs from water, and place into cold ice water and let rest there for 3-5 minutes.
- 6In the meantime, bring the water in the pan back to a boil and when it is boiling, take eggs out of ice water and put back into the boiling water.
- 7Let the eggs heat for a minute or so in the boiling water.
- 8Then remove eggs and put back into ice water to stop them from overcooking.
- 9This ‘twice boiling” helps you peel them.
- 10Let eggs cool down before peeling them.
- 11Peel eggs and cut in half.
- 12Remove yolks from each half and put yolks into a mixing bowl.
- 13Mash yolks fine with a fork.
- 14Add the pickle juice, the mustard, the salt, the pepper and the mayonnaise.
- 15But with the mayonnaise, add it a little at a time and stop adding before the yolks become too soupy.
- 16In summary, put in just enough mayonnaise to bind the egg yolk together but not so much that the yolk mixture gets soupy.
- 17Taste test the yolk mixture for desired taste and consistency.
- 18Note: These amount indicated are approximate guides. Use more or less to your taste.
- 19Re-fill halved egg whites with the egg yolk mixture.
- 20When halved egg whites have been filled, garnish deviled eggs by sprinkling sweet paprika over the top of the egg halves.
- 21This contributes both to the flavor and to color, making eggs more attractive.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama Vi’s Deviled Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.8
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 425.9 mg
- Sodium 185.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet pickle juice