A family favorite when I was growing up. My mother's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large firm tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced fine
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (medium)
- 1/2 lb bacon, fried crisp, crumbled
- 6 -8 slices bread, dried and crushed into crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese (more or less to taste)
- water (for cooking)
- 1Make bread crumbs in advance either converting bread slices into bread
- 2crumbs by drying in oven or leaving out on counter for a day to dry the bread, or else just simply substitute equivalent amount of store-bought, pre-packaged bread crumbs (roughly, my guess is 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on your preference for how dry to make the stuffing).
- 3Fry bacon and crumble. Grate cheese.
- 4Dice celery and green pepper.
- 5Set all aside.
- 6Remove top of each tomato. Scoop out tomatoes using something like a melon ball scooper or other sharp edge instrument to remove pulp but in process to keep from
- 7mashing up the tomato.
- 8Chop tomato pulp into small chunks.
- 9Add diced onion, bell pepper, celery, cheese and pre-cooked bacon to tomato pulp pieces, then add bread crumbs and stir them into tomato pulp mixture.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Spoon the tomato pulp/stuffing mixture back into tomato shells, mounding slightly over top of scooped out tomato
- 12Place in baking dish of appropriate size, add enough water (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups) to the bottom of baking dish to prevent tomatoes burning while baking.
- 13Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until
- 14you can smell the tomatoes cooking.
- 15A few minutes prior to serving, remove the aluminum foil from top of baking dish and liberally sprinkle the top of each stuffed tomato with parmesan cheese.
- 16Place tomatoes under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until parmesan is golden brown.
- 17Quickly remove from broiler heat and serve or set aside tomatoes on very low heat to keep warm until you can serve them.
- 18(Note: Be careful not to broil too long and burn the top of the stuffed tomatoes).
- 19Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama Vi’s Baked, Stuffed Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.3
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.5 mg
- Sodium 1014.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 24.2 g