Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
In ‘Southern Plate’ by Christy Jordan
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except the ketchup together well.
- Form into a loaf, pressing firmly to compact the loaf (this helps seal in the juices).
- Place in a loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and spread the ketchup over the top.
- Put back in the oven for 10 minutes more.
- Pour the grease off the meatloaf and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
I mixed the meatloaf up but it was very wet so I added another half a cup of saltines. We still found the mixture to be bland and a bit mushy for our taste.