Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
This has been in my family for so long that I don't even remember who Ruth is, but if there was a family gathering, you can bet someone would make this. To do this in the true style of MaMa Ruth, it has to be done in a dutch oven. Keep in mind, this is Southern - it ain't about healthy ;)
- 1 lb link sausage (like Hillshire Farms)
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown sausage with bell pepper and onion in skillet.
- Combine with rice, sugar, salt, pepper and tomato sauce and drippings from sausage.
- Place in dutch oven or corning ware, covered in oven for 1 hour, stirring after the first 20 minutes.
- After 1 hour, let sit in ove for about 20 minutes before serving.
Just got up from a supper of Mama Ruth's Red Rice and we all loved it. I have seen this southern dish served out of S.C. but the only description I could get was that it was made with spagetti sauce. Now I have a recipe for this good, inexpensive dish that my whole family likes.Thanks for sharing this.