Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Wanted a meatloaf with a sauce that was a little sweet and this is what I came up with.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs meatloaf mixture (ground pork and beef)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (minced)
- 1 tempo meatloaf mix
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tomatoes (seeded, cored, chopped)
- For meatloaf preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl mix water, egg, onion, green pepper, garlic and Tempo.
- Add pork/beef mixture, salt and pepper.
- Mix till combined and pat mixture into a loaf pan.
- Place in preheated oven and set timer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime for sauce combine ketchup and brown sugar and set aside.
- In skillet fry bacon until crisp, remove bacon and set aside.
- Add tomatoes to drippings in skillet and saute on med low heat for one minute.
- Add ketchup mixture to skillet. Stir and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Crumble bacon and stir into sauce; set aside.
- When meatloaf has cooked for 20 minutes remove from oven and drain off any fat collected in pan (I try to use lean meat so there is not much).
- Cover meat with sauce and return to oven.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until meatloaf is done.