Recipe by Caryn
This is a recipe passed down to me from my husband's Aunt better known as Mama Mull. It is an easy recipe to put together with lots of flavor.
Top Review by StacieB CO
I'm always in search of a good chili recipe. This one fits the bill. My husband loved it and my almost two year old had two servings. I did not add any hot sauce, I let each person do that at the table, but it was very yummy. I will make this again. Thanks Caryn!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can water
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1⁄4 cup red wine or 1⁄4 cup beer
- 1 can red kidney beans
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef; pour off excess fat.
- Add onions and garlic; cook for several minutes over medium heat.
- Add chili powder and onion soup mix; stir thoroughly.
- Add water; cook and stir until the soup mix dissolves.
- Add tomato sauce and wine/beer; bring to boiling point and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook 1 hour.
- Continue cooking over low heat for another 1 to 2 hours; stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary.
- About 20 minutes prior to serving, check for seasonings- salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Add beans; simmer until beans are heated through.