Recipe by Tao2k4
This recipe came to me from my old across-the-hall neighbor in New York City. Makes a wonderfully smooth and cheesy side dish, or it can be easily doubled for Pot Lucks and Parties. Absolute comfort food!
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was creamy and good. The cheese amounts in the directions are a little confusing so I just put 1/2 the cheddar and all the parmesan in the sauce and then the other 1/2 of cheddar on the top. Made for Bargain Basement Tag March 2010.
- 8 ounces mostaccioli pasta (ziti or penne' pasta could also be used)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Pasta "al dente" style. While Pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt Butter in a large saucepan under medium heat. Stir in Flour, Salt and Pepper. Gradually add Milk; cook and stir until it thickens and slowly bubbles.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup each Cheddar and Parmesan Cheese, blend until mixed well. Stir in Pasta.
- Spoon 1/2 Pasta and sauce into greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Layer with Swiss Cheese, then remaining Pasta mixture.
- Cover and bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Uncover and sprinkle remaining Cheddar Cheese over the top. Serve after Cheese melts, about 5-10 minutes.