Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken from some cookbook I had several years ago. I don't have the cookbook anymore, but I kept this recipe. (The next bit was added 10-16-06) The recipe calls for instant mashed potatoes because it was one of those "homemade from a box" type of cookbooks where the primary ingredients of the dishes came from a can, a box, a mix...you see where that's going. In response to a spot-on review, I'm going to say if you can't find garlic or roasted garlic instant mashed potatoes, ADD THE GARLIC POWDER YOURSELF! It's too bland otherwise.
- 4 cups hot instant mashed potatoes (if you can find them in a garlic or roasted garlic flavor, you definitely will want to add garlic po)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread 1/2 the potatoes in a baking dish and sprinkle them with 1/2 the Parmesan cheese. Layer 1/2 the mozarella over the Parmesan.
- Spread the remaining potatoes over the cheese layer; cover with remaining Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the flavored breadcrumbs on top and bake for 15 minutes or until mozzarella has melted.
These were fairly bland, but I think maybe adding garlic (or using the garlic potatoes that I couldn't find), more salt--something--would have helped. I'm not an instant potato fan, so if you like instant potatoes, you'd probably rate this higher.