Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These delights reference NOT the BWay show...but a special treat for our Pasta Lunch at the base Dining Facility. I cheated with a box mix(spiked-up, but the frosting is from scratch. :)
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix (not pudding in mix)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 fluid ounce of strong espresso (1.5 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (4 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 ounces strong espresso
- 1 teaspoon ground espresso (not instant)
- 2 -3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Cupcakes:preheat oven to 350.
- stir instant espresso into the espresso shot.
- in mixer bowl, oil, eggs, cake mix, and buttermilk.
- mix until moistened for 30 seconds or so.
- add espresso.
- beat on high until thickened and smooth a few minutes.
- fill lined muffin pans 2/3 full.
- bake 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- remove from pans and allow to cool completely before topping.
- add brewed espresso and ground espresso and vanilla to milk.
- beat butter in mixer with 1 cup confectioner's sugar.
- add coffee mixture.
- add the rest of the sugar until smooth, creamy--don't forget to scrape down your bowl, and don't whip at too high a speed for too long.
- decorate as desired!