2 hrs 10 mins
Kit^..^ty Of Canada's Note:
From Carrabba's. It has a peppery bite which I love.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 celery ribs
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can imported Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (5 lb) hen, washed and cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 quarts water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Dice celery, carrots, onion, potatoes and bell pepper into 1/4-inch pieces.
- 2Chop tomatoes; reserve all juice.
- 3Place vegetables, tomatoes with their juice, chicken pieces, parsley and garlic in a 10-quart stockpot.
- 4Add water. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Slowly bring soup to a boil over low heat.
- 6Skim off foam that rises to the surface; may have to skim 2 or 3 times.
- 7Partially cover pot and simmer 2 hours.
- 8When soup is finished, remove chicken pieces with a slotted spoon. Let cool.
- 9Meanwhile, mash vegetables in the bottom of the pot with the back side of a large cooking spoon or a potato masher.
- 10When chicken has cooled enough to handle, remove skin and bones and return meat to soup.
- 11Notes: Soup is best served the day after it is made. Refrigerate and remove fat that solidifies on the surface of the soup. Serve soup with rice or small, stubby pasta. For better flavor, cook the rice or pasta in the soup when reheating. Add freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama Mandola's Spicy Sicilian Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.0
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 286.5 mg
- Sodium 244.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 51.1 g