Recipe by yooper
I got this recipe years ago from a Jane and Michael Stern cookbook that featured recipes from restaurants around the country. The original recipe was for a smaller casserole and I doubled the recipe. We have it at every holiday meal. Mama Lu's is a southern restaurant that is located in Florida I believe (not sure of the city). I like this recipe because it's not like every other broccoli casserole.
Top Review by Manda
Oh, yooper, you've done it again!!! YUUUUUUMMMMYY!! I used fresh broccoli because I have a ton of it in the fridge (hey, can't pass up a good bargain/lol) Followed the recipe exactly, served with salad and breaded pork chops. DIVINE!! Thank you! ~Manda
- 9 slices day old white bread
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter a 9x13 glass Pyrex dish.
- Tear the bread slices into bite size pieces and cover the bottom of the pan.
- (You may need more or less slices to fit the pan depending on the size of your slices.) Layer the chopped broccoli on top of the bread slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the broccoli and bread, making sure all the bread pieces get a good soaking and that the cheese is distributed evenly.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 35-40 minutes or until casserole is golden brown and set.
- Let rest 10 minutes and cut into squares and serve.