1/1 Photo of Mama Leone's Chicken Soup
1 hr 15 mins
I don't know what saint at Elephant's Deli decided to share the recipe for this soup, but they go on my list of people to be grateful for. I've lightened it up a bit, but the flavor's still teriffic. This is one of my favorites!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus
- extra kosher salt, for chicken breasts (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus
- extra black pepper, for chicken breasts (divided)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (substitue GF, if needed)
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Season chicken breasts with salt and black pepper to taste and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- 2When cool enough to handle, dice the meat and set aside until needed.
- 3While the chicken breasts are baking, heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter and melt. Saute the onions and celery until the onions are translucent, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic, tarragon, oregano, paprika and remaining 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes.
- 5Add the flour and stir until well-combined. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 6Add the tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 7Add the reserved chicken breast and simmer 10 minutes more. Just before serving, stir in the spinach.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama Leone's Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 1023.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g