Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Wonderful chicken recipe.
Make and share this Mama Leone's Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (2 1/4 lb) fresh spring chicken
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces salt pork, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb onion, peeled and diced
- 2 chopped fine chicken livers
- 2 chopped chicken gizzards
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 10 fresh parsley sprigs, leaves only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes or 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Cut each chicken into 4 pieces.
- Combine oil, salt pork and butter in a good-sized pot; heat.
- Add onions and brown slowly.
- Add the chicken pieces and chopped livers and gizzards and brown for 10 minute.
- Chop garlic, rosemary and parsley together and.
- add to the chicken along with the pepper and salt; stir well.
- Cook for 5 minute Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook slowly for about 30 minute.
- ,or until done.
- Check for seasoning.
- Do NOT overcook.
- This chicken is delicious with freshly cooked spaghettini on the same place with the sauce spooned over all.