Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This is my mom's famous potato salad. It was also my grandmom's recipe, but she used Miracle Whip and me and my mom use mayo. This is pretty much a classic potato salad recipe...great for picnics and potlucks. I know everyone has their own favorite, but I figured I would post this anyway...maybe it will become somebody's new favorite!
Top Review by cuisinebymae
Like your grandmon, I used Miracle Whip. Love the bacon in it-never had that before in potato salad. All the flavours go together so well. This is one of the best potato salads I've tried. Excellent!
- 5 lbs all-purpose white potatoes or 5 lbs red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (We ALWAYS use Hellmann's Light...you made need more depending on how you like it)
- 6 eggs
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp,drained and crumbled (about a half pound)
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil eggs and potatoes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Allow to cool until easily handled, or refrigerate for several hours or even overnight.
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 3/4 inch cubes; set aside.
- Peel and dice hard-boiled eggs.
- Place eggs in a large bowl and add mayo, crumbled bacon, onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine well.
- Add potatoes to bowl; sprinkle with bacon drippings and vinegar.
- Gently fold potatoes into mayo mixture until incorporated (I sometimes use my hands for this).
- Chill until ready to serve.