Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mom's famous potato salad. It was also my grandmom's recipe, but she used Miracle Whip and me and my mom use mayo. This is pretty much a classic potato salad recipe...great for picnics and potlucks. I know everyone has their own favorite, but I figured I would post this anyway...maybe it will become somebody's new favorite!
- 5 lbs all-purpose white potatoes or 5 lbs red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (We ALWAYS use Hellmann's Light...you made need more depending on how you like it)
- 6 eggs
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp,drained and crumbled (about a half pound)
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Boil eggs and potatoes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Allow to cool until easily handled, or refrigerate for several hours or even overnight.
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 3/4 inch cubes; set aside.
- Peel and dice hard-boiled eggs.
- Place eggs in a large bowl and add mayo, crumbled bacon, onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine well.
- Add potatoes to bowl; sprinkle with bacon drippings and vinegar.
- Gently fold potatoes into mayo mixture until incorporated (I sometimes use my hands for this).
- Chill until ready to serve.
Like your grandmon, I used Miracle Whip. Love the bacon in it-never had that before in potato salad. All the flavours go together so well. This is one of the best potato salads I've tried. Excellent!
Out of four adults, my son and I liked this. The other two did not care for it. I make a potato salad with bacon in it, but I use green onion and add lemon pepper seasoning to it. I don't put the bacon drippings, just a pound of crumbled bacon. Over all, I felt it deserved four stars. Thanks for the recipe.