Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Creamy and tender stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort foods
- 2 lbs stew beef chunks
- 3 (4 1/2 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- 3 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Marinade beef cubes overnight
- Remove beef cubes from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Add olice oil to skillet and brown beef cubes on all sides.
- Remove browned beef, set to the side
- In same pan, sautee onions and garlic, until onions are transluscent
- Deglaze with red wine, scraping all browned bits.
- Place browned beef back into skillet.
- Add marinade
- Simmer on low for 60 to 90 minutes, or until beef has reached desired tenderness
- Add sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms to beef mixture five to ten minutes before serving.
- Prepare egg noodles according to package, drain
- Serve over egg noodles.
I must have done something wrong, because this just didn't come out quite like I expected. I used LOW SODIUM beef bouillon PACKETS and LOW SODIUM Cream of Mushroom soup, both of which could have made a difference in the dish tasting rather bland. It was, however, very easy to make, with most ingredients being ones you'd more than likely have in your pantry. Pretty much cooks itself, too. Deglazing and cooking with wine are things I have never done before, so I appreciated the opportunity to learn. The pluses outweigh the minuses (which COULD simply be attributed to my taste buds) so I'm giving this four stars. Made for Spring, 2010 PAC. Thanks Delilah, for challenging me with this recipe!