Recipe by Norahs Girl
This is a very popular pudding here in South Africa, very gooey and not for the calorie concious! My youngest son adores it so I make it at least once a week!
Top Review by Foodmmm
I used to use this recipe all the time, it is amazing! But i think something has changed as it is a bit misleading around adding the milk to the butter mixture ( like it used to say) that is now missing and refers to 'wet mixture' which i thought was the eggs. it would be good to change that back to how it was. Otherwise this is the best pudding anyone can have!
- 250 ml sugar
- 1 large egg
- 15 ml soft butter
- 60 ml smooth apricot jam
- 250 ml cake flour
- 5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ml salt
- 250 ml milk
- 10 ml vinegar
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 250 ml cream or 250 ml evaporated milk
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 125 ml sugar
- 60 ml hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180c (350F degrees).
- In a bowl beat sugar, egg, butter, and jam until pale and fluffy.
- Sift flour, bicarb of soda and salt into a bowl.
- Mix milk, vinegar, and vanilla essence.
- Fold flour mixture and milk mixture alternatively into egg mixture.
- Pour into a buttered large baking dish; cover with foil, shiny side down.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until firm, or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove foil 10 minutes before end of baking time to allow pudding to brown on top.
- For Sauce: Combine ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat stirring, until butter melts and sugar is disolved.
- Pour over hot pudding.
- Serve with whipped cream.