Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My parents used to make this but I always liked my Zi's recipe better. She passed away but I think my version here comes pretty close. Zi would bake these over "patata fil-forn" which is a layer of thinly sliced potatoes and onions coated in olive oil and peppered.
- 4 large eggplants
- 1 lb ground beef (I use a mix of both) or 1 lb ground pork (I use a mix of both)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup semolina
- Parboil the eggplants for about 15 minutes.
- Cut each one in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle, leaving a 1/4 inch wide border all around. Reserve the pulpy guts into a separate bowl. Place the cut eggplants on a baking tray.
- Heat the oil and fry the onion.
- Add the tomato paste, meat, and about half of the eggplant guts you reserved. Cook until the meat is done, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add the beaten eggs, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the halved eggplants with this meat mixture. It's okay if you have to mound it.
- Sprinkle the tops with breadcrumbs, semolina or galletti crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 400F oven.