Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very easy and quick to make and totally delicious. It's very popular in Malta, very similar to the oven-roasted variety, but without the oven.
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 1 kg pork chop
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fennel seed
- 2 cups pork stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- Slice the potatoes into thick slices and chop the onions.
- Place the pork chops in a baking dish, then layer the potatoes evenly over the pork, and spread the onions around them.
- Pour in the stock and top it up with water until the potatoes are almost covered. If using stock cubes you probably won't need to add salt, otherwise add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle fennel seeds liberally over everything, and add the olive oil.
- Cover the entire dish with aluminium foil and place it on your hob on the lowest flame setting, leaving to boil slowly for about 30 minutes.
- At the end, remove the foil and place the dish under a grill on a high setting, just enough to give the potatoes a nice crunchy skin.