Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These could become a favorite for bake sales or casual dinner parties - if they make it out of the house!
- 3⁄4 cup margarine (1 1/2 sticks) or 3⁄4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup instant malted milk powder (no sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups malted milk balls, coarsely chopped (about 5 ounces of candy)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Line pan with foil; grease foil.
- Prepare Chocolate Base: In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt margarine or butter with chocolates over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in sugar and vanilla, then stir in eggs until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into chocolate mixture just until blended.
- Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted 1-inch from edge comes out clean. Remove pan from oven. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Prepare Malted-Milk Topping: In a small bowl, mix malted-milk powder, milk and vanilla until blended. Stir in margarine or butter, then confectioners' sugar, until blended. Spread topping over cooled bars; top with chopped malted-milk-ball candies.
- When topping is firm, transfer with foil to cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.