Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wonderful as is or dipped or partially dipped in chocolate. Possibly adding almonds and dipping in white chocolate would reminesce of a Zero bar.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup instant malted milk powder (chocolate or original flavor)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- chocolate, optional coating
- Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until then sugar dissolves. Brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming, then insert a candy thermometer. Cook without stirring until the temperature reaches 260 degrees. While you wait for the correct temperature, proceed to prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until completely smooth, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the room temperature egg whites in the clean bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When the syrup reaches 250 degrees, begin to beat the egg whites on medium speed.
- Once the sugar syrup reaches 260 degrees, remove the pan from the heat. I recommend that you pour the hot syrup into a large measuring cup with a spout or small pitcher to make this next step easier.
- Turn the mixer to high speed and slowly stream in the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl. Continue beating on high speed for about 5 minutes, until the egg whites are shiny, white, and stiff. Turn the mixer down and add the melted chocolate, salt, and malted milk powder. Mix until well-combined and smooth. Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl very well.
- Scrape the nougat into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Allow it to cool at room temperature until completely set, then cut into small squares to serve.
- May, also, be partially or completely dipped in chocolate. Store Malted Milk Chocolate Nougat in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.